[mythtv-users] E: nvidia new drivers hdtv/interlacing, any benefit for us non HDTV people?

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Mon Jul 5 08:56:44 EDT 2004

Thomas Börkel wrote:

>> It's highly dependent on the shows you watch,  most shows I watch
>> look perfect as long as I have the A/V sync turned on, those that
>> don't look
>

> You mean the experimental A/V sync? What about jitter reduction?

A/V sync requires jitter reduction in 15.1, recent CVS builds have the
two separated if memory serves me.

>> fine with kerneldeint added to the mix.  The quality exceeds that of my
>

> Why do I need kerneldeint do output interlaced video to an interlaced
> device?

The signal itself is interlaced, but AFAIK in order for the interlaced
video to look proper you need to 1) output a TV sized signal with no
scaling, 2) Play the video back at double the frame rate synced with the
vblank(vsync?) so that the fields are displayed properly.

I used to be all hot and heavy to "fix" this in Myth, then I got my
XF86config in order, turned on kerneldeint (though it's rarely needed)
and discovered that It really wasn't an issue so I concentrated on other
things.  For the 5 channels I receive via my spiffy new antenna, Myth by
far exceeds what I see if I just connect the antenna to the TV.  For my
DTV channels you'd be hard pressed to find differences.