[mythtv-users] SN41G2 sound nightmares

Wouter Lagerweij wouter at lagerweij.com
Mon Jul 5 08:39:53 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 13:05 +0100, Ian Wells wrote:
> This seems to be a problem other people have occasionally had, but
> despite searching here and on all the ALSA pages I can find I've
> got no solution, so I'll ask again...
>
> I have a Shuttle SN41G2 (nForce2 chipset, basically) and a Pinnacle PCTV Rave
> card.  On the whole, it's working fine, but I've got a couple of sound
> problems.
>
> 1. I can't get the line in socket to work.  In fact, the only input socket I
> *can* get to work is the front mic socket (alsamixer set to capture Mic, mic
> input to (from memory) mic2).  I suspect that the rear Mic and line in sockets,
> which are dual-use, are set as auxiliary surround channel outputs, and ALSA
> isn't managing to switch them to inputs despite me twiddling the relevant
> settings in alsamixer.  Anyone succeeded in getting the line in to work?  I
> managed it in Windows, I'm sure...
>
> (The recordings taken from the Mic input are distorted, which I
> think is a level issue - I'll probably just try and connect the TV
> card to the CD input inside the box if I get no further with this.)

If this is the case (and I've had that same problem...): I just started
Gnome-ALSA-mixer, which gave me a whole list of options that can be
(de-)selected. One of those options was (paraphrased, I'm at work) 'use
line-in as line-out for the back speakers'. Deselecting that one will
help. (don't forget to save the setting using alsactl, or you'll have to
do it again after a reboot)

> 2. The TOSLINK output doesn't appear to be working - using hw:0,0 and hw:0,2
> (analogue and digital outputs respectively) the sound always seems to come
> out of the analogue port.  I suspect this is simple to fix but I've
> not yet found the answer.

I haven't tried this, but there were also some options for using SPDIF
and such there. I'm still analogue, here...

Wouter