[mythtv-users] SN41G2 sound nightmares

Ian Wells ijw.mythtv at cack.org.uk
Mon Jul 5 08:05:37 EDT 2004

This seems to be a problem other people have occasionally had, but
despite searching here and on all the ALSA pages I can find I've
got no solution, so I'll ask again...

I have a Shuttle SN41G2 (nForce2 chipset, basically) and a Pinnacle PCTV Rave
card.  On the whole, it's working fine, but I've got a couple of sound
problems.

1. I can't get the line in socket to work.  In fact, the only input socket I
*can* get to work is the front mic socket (alsamixer set to capture Mic, mic
input to (from memory) mic2).  I suspect that the rear Mic and line in sockets,
which are dual-use, are set as auxiliary surround channel outputs, and ALSA
isn't managing to switch them to inputs despite me twiddling the relevant
settings in alsamixer.  Anyone succeeded in getting the line in to work?  I
managed it in Windows, I'm sure...

(The recordings taken from the Mic input are distorted, which I
think is a level issue - I'll probably just try and connect the TV
card to the CD input inside the box if I get no further with this.)

2. The TOSLINK output doesn't appear to be working - using hw:0,0 and hw:0,2
(analogue and digital outputs respectively) the sound always seems to come
out of the analogue port.  I suspect this is simple to fix but I've
not yet found the answer.

I'm using 2.6.7 built from the Debian source package and something that was
originally a KnoppMyth distribution, though I've upgraded and fiddled with the
packages now.  If anyone has either the line in or the TOSLINK working, I'd
appreciate some assistance.  If you have it working and can send your 'amixer'
output, even better...

And on a total aside, I'd strongly recommend the Redremote serial, it's
controlling my UK Sky digibox perfectly...  Just a shame there's not a faster
way to set up the (many!) Sky channel names and numbers automatically...

--
Ian.