[mythtv-users] Results with via cpus

David megor at shaw.ca
Sat Jul 3 12:48:15 EDT 2004

I'm at the stage where I am going to buy the capture card for my Mythtv setup, I have an 800mhz Samuel 2 cpu in a board with 512 of ddr ram (The actual board is a Syntax S635MP).  I'm unsure if I'll be able to get away with just having hardware mpeg2 encoding or if I'll need to get hardware mpeg2 decoding aswell.  I would like to be able to record live tv and playback at the same time.  I'm looking at getting a Hauppauge pvr 250 or 350.  Is there some way to run Mythtv in a "benchmark" mode where it could tell me who well it would expect things to run with hardware/software encoding/decoding?

Even better if anyone out there have a similar system that could tell me how well it performs?

David