[mythtv-users] HDTV recording error: IOBOUND - blocking in ThreadedFileWriter::Write()

John Sturgeon john at sturgeonfamily.com
Thu Jul 1 15:10:42 EDT 2004

Wendy Seltzer wrote:

> At 11:24 AM -0700 7/1/04, John Sturgeon wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm saw somebody mention this error a while back, but I never heard
>> if anybody definitively resolved it.  Occasionally I get the IOBOUND
>> error (see snip of mythbackend.log below) during a recording.  It
>> isn't enough to abort the recording, but it definitely causes a
>> glitch in the stream (very noticeable during playback).  I'm using a
>> pcHDTV card. Originally, I thought that it could be related to CPU
>> (as mentioned in the previous thread), so I stopped doing any
>> transcoding until all recording is completed, but now I'm seeing it
>> again.
>>
>> If anybody has any idea why this might be happening (or more
>> importantly, how to stop it) I would love to hear.  If I don't hear
>> much, I might post to the 'dev' list.
>

> Is something else using the disk at the same time?  That's when I've
> seen this error (or if DMA is turned off).
>
> I'm still working on the stutters when full 1080i is playing, but
> otherwise the pcHDTV is working well for me.
> --Wendy

The only thing going on is playback.  My backend and frontend systems
are the same, so whenever I'm recording a show, I'm usually watching
another.  DMA is definitly on.  I suppose I could renice mythbackend, I
don't know if that would effect disk I/O.

I've completely give up on playing full-res HDTV content.  I record it,
transcode it down to 1/2 size MPEG-4 (Xvid).  It uses up a fraction of
the disk space and it is almost impossible to tell the difference in
quality on my 51" Hitachi.

--
John <><