[mythtv-users] [SUMMARY] Live TV Pauses - Solved

Kevin Stussman kevins at solium.com
Thu Jul 1 11:32:42 EDT 2004

Thanks to Isaac for the correct advice..(and everyone else who
contributed to the "try this" pool)

	After much speculation, doing everything from upgrading and downgrading
the Nvidia/IVTV driver versions, researching possible XFS performance
problems and even trying different BIOS settings, the problem of live TV
jitter/slowness/pausing for me was solved by removing the ALSA::Default
setting from the mythtv audio device setup. The problem went away
immediately, but left me without audio....but...
	I was also able to solve my OSS problem and get /dev/dsp working (with
alsa compatibility mode). My problem was that the HOWTO guide was set up
for S/PDIF out instead of regular audio out.

I believe this setting was the culprit:

options snd-pcm-oss dsp_map=2 adsp_map=2
(and perhaps the .asoundrc file used in the HOWTO as well)

Instead, I just copied the "standard" settings from:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?module=intel8x0

which did the trick for audio.

Now if I can just figure out how to get X to properly display with the
mythtv menus, I'll be set. Right now the SVIDEO output is working
perfect for live tv, but the menu system resolution is not fitted
properly.

Hope this helps someone,

Kevin.