[mythtv-users] controlling mythtv using the /dev filesystem?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 29 17:10:47 EST 2004

On Thursday 29 January 2004 16:01, Matthew M Murphy wrote:
> Johannes,
>
> I have looked into mythweb and have it working (it's great!).
>
> Palmvnc is a good idea which I'll have to look into.
>
> I just wish there were a way to change the channel from the command
> line somehow...
>
> Does anyone know how lirc integrates with mythtv to change the
> channel?  I read through the FAQ but before I start looking at code I
> might as well ask.

Well, LIRC could work one of 2 ways with Myth:

(1) using irxevent.  This simply receives LIRC commands, translates them
to X-Events, and sends those events to the designated window.

(2) using Myth's built-in LIRC support.  This polls the LIRC device for
events, and translates those events into user actions.

Either way, I suppose it might be possible to create a 'dummy' LIRC
device that, instead of presenting config strings built from an IR
signal, would simply be a FIFO that another (controller) process would
write into, and which Myth or irxevent would read from.  You'd have to
do a little bit of research into LIRC.

An even better approach (if you're a programmer) would be to give Myth
the ability to read commands from a pipe or FIFO.  Shouldn't be that
hard now that the LIRC support & configurable user actions
infrastructure is in.

-JAC