[mythtv-users] The REAL test of Myth

Eloy A. Paris peloy at chapus.net
Thu Jan 29 08:32:08 EST 2004

"Matt Hannan" <matthew.j.hannan at verizon.net> writes:

> So, does MythTV pass the ever dreaded Spouse Test?
>
> I showed mine what I am trying to do and she seemed interested,
> especially at the ease of use frontend.
> But I do not yet have it up and running, so I am just wondering if I
> should even bother!
[...]

My wife was hesitant at first. I installed ran Myth on the main home
server for a couple of months, and we used to watch recorded shows
through the LCD in my home office desk. Then, when my wife was away for
a couple of weeks visiting family I bought an nVidia with TV-out and
moved the whole system to the family room and hooked it to our main TV.

When she came back she still was hesitant. The LiveTV freezes were
pretty bad, and as someone else pointed out, points were taken out.

Fortunately, the freezes seem to be fixed now (I applied the patch that
was posted) and now my wife is buying more into MythTV every day. Last
Sunday she watched the Golden Globe Awards and she was amazed how she
could leave the system running, go to the kitchen to fix herself
something to eat, come back and go see what she had missed. She also
likes that we don't have to remember to tape our favorite shows: I
configured MythTV to record them and now we just watch them, even before
they finish being broadcasted.

She's also enjoyed playing Miss Pacman on MAME via MythGame :-)

One thing that is not helping is that, while watching TV and videos and
DVDs (although we use a separate DVD player for DVDs) looks fine through
the nVidia TV-out, the MythTV interface is hard to read. I've played
with this several times without finding a solution. Don't know what it
is. I might post some pictures here later to see if what I have is the
best I can have.

So, while I still not have achieved 100% WAF, thinks are looking good
:-)

Cheers!

Eloy.-