[mythtv-users] Another Idea for Myth

Alan Snyder ax763 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 14:33:27 EST 2004

> > Hi,
> >
> > I just thought of something that might be cool for MythTV.  A nice
> > interface for Recipes.  I was thinking of putting a
> MythFrontend box
> > in the kitchen with an LCD screen and a few pushbuttons for
> navigation
> > and being able to view recipes would be ideal...
> >
> > What do you think?
> This would be good for increasing/decreasing WAF (Depending
> on whether a is for acceptance or annoyance) or PAF (Parent
> Acceptance Factor)
>
> Currently the only video device in the kitchen (19" TV) is
> older than I am.

As someone with an LCD-on-the-kitchen-wall myth installation, I can point
out a few things:

1.  It's great.
2.  Remember that as long as there's a screen and a keyboard people will use
it as a general-purpose PC.  This will include random web browsing and other
things that require keyboard and mouse.  My "compromise" if you can call it
that is to run under KDE with two virtual screens.  One has Myth on it all
the time.  The other's used for general purpose stuff.
3.  Once people start to multitask, they want to leave the internet radio on
or the tv sound on while they do their other stuff (I haven't experimented
with the value of Myth in a window).  This is where adding modules to myth
becomes different from using separate applications for these other tasks.

If you want to access recipes in Myth, a quick way would be to format them
into a tree of web pages and point mythweb to them.