[mythtv-users] Help!, DVB kernel loclup

Jon Dye jon at pecorous.co.uk
Tue Jan 27 05:11:37 EST 2004

Simon at the Threshold wrote:
> Update
>
> Progress at last..
>
> After hours and hours of pratting around with diffirent modules and
> versions of the dvb drivers I gave up on the PVR app and discovered that
> the machine freezes/locks up under load. <Pah>
>
> After a few hours of testing I disprove that the CPU is overheating and
> is well within its operating temps.
>
> I'm now working on the basis that the power supply is exceeding its
> maximum output and am now running underload for the longest I've ever
> managed..
>
> Poxy PC's...

I thought I might have had the same problem until I tried it on a new PC!

I think I might have made some progress myself now using kernel 2.6.1
with the built in drivers and increasing the latency timer for the card
to 128 (from 32). I have managed to record several shows without any
crashes or lockups.  I find it worrying that changing the PCI latency
can stop the kernel from crashing, sounds a bit dodgy to me.  Anyway,
I'll leave the box running and recording a few more shows and see if it
really is more stable than before.

The latency timer change might fix the problem under 2.4.22 with DVB
1.0.1 but I didn't try that because I've discovered 2.4.22 doesn't
support the agp controller on my new motherboard! :-/

JD