[mythtv-users] Kind of offtopic - how do you make a DVD under linux?

Chris Delis cedelis at uillinois.edu
Tue Jan 27 03:29:53 EST 2004

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 12:33:46AM -0500, Dwaine Garden wrote:
> Ajay Sharma wrote:
>

> >I've used mkdvd and it works, but it's DAMN SLOW.  I have an Athlon
> >1900+ and transcoding about a hour of video took four days.  No joke,
> >FOUR DAYS.  But at the end of the whole process, I had a DVD ISO that I
> >burned with k3b.
> >
> >Someone posted a howto on the Gentoo forums for how to burn a DVD using
> >Linux tools:
> >
> >http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=117709
> >
> >Obviously it's a little gentoo specific but the programs are the same.
> >
> >later,
> >ajay
> >

> That just sucks.   I'm trying to get some videos onto a dvd-r and watch
> them on my player.   Seems impossible.
>
> Even nuvexport takes about two days to make a svcd.
>
> I can not believe all the utils in Linux, and all of them suck that
> much.  It kind of defeats the purpose of buying a PVR-350 card.

It does?  I don't follow... I can make DVDs in a matter of a few minutes.
IIRC, I have found a few working methods from searching the myth archives.

> Does anyone have any suggestions getting the output from the PVR-350
> onto a dvd-+r disc.    Actually watching it on a dvd player?
>
> 4-7 days is not acceptable....

It takes me a few minutes to setup an image and maybe another few minutes to burn
to plastic.

The last time I created a DVD, I used this script (most of it was borrowed from
this very list):

----------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
dvb-mplex -t DVD -o ${2}.mpg $1
dvdauthor -o $2 ${2}.mpg
dvdauthor -T -o $2
rm ${2}.mpg
sudo mkisofs -dvd-video -o ${2}.img $2
rm -rf $2
sudo ./cdrecord-wrapper.sh dev=0,1,0 -v ${2}.img

The only tricky parts for me was to first find and download the dvb version
of 'mplex' (I got mine from DVB-0.9.tar.gz).  Also, you need a version of
mkisofs that supports the '-dvd-video' option (cdrtools-2.00.3.tar.gz I think?).
I also encode using stream type: DVD-Special2.