[mythtv-users] Re: Managing multiple video archives & Watch Recordings vs. MythVideo

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Sat Jan 24 10:10:27 EST 2004

Eric Litman wrote:

>Eric A. Litman wrote:
>

>>This point goes a bit further afield, but it seems to fit somewhere
>>in this context. While it's easy to draw the logistic/physical
>>distinction between content recorded by the TV encoder and "other"
>>video content (Watch Recordngs vs. MythVideo), is it really
>>necessary to separate the two sets as part of the end-user
>>experience? To an end-user, shouldn't the location where content is
>>stored and the mechanism used to display that content be irrelevant?
>>

>OK, so I just read the thread "Re:Internal Video player (was: MythVideo
>Folder Support)" from 01/06-01/13 of this month, and it looks like J.
>Donovan's recent efforts could be a big step in this direction. What
>are others' thoughts on unifying the video interfaces so that a user
>only need be presented with a single video archive? Issues/challenges?
>Are there any significant interface paradigms that would need to be

I've done some proof of concept stuff placing arbitrary video files on
the backend and creating the necessary entries in the recording tables
so that the backend thought they were shows.  I was able to get the
backend to stream any video file to the internal player just like it
does other recordings.  I ran an idea I had for a generic "library"
system that eliminates the distinction between a video and a recording
past Isaac.  He indicated that I should talk to Thor about his mfd but
I've not had a chance to do so yet, maybe I'll do that today...