[mythtv-users] looks like ananova pulled the plug on tv_grab_uk

K.R. Foley kr at cybsft.com
Thu Jan 22 14:25:27 EST 2004

Mark Cooper wrote:
> Paul Woodward wrote:
>
>> That really sucks. I used to use the desktop client DigiGuide(.com)
>> for my listings. You have to pay about £5/year for it, but that's
>> fine. Does anyone know if they do an xml listings service?
>

> Yeah, there has been a number of requests for a XML feed from DigiGuide
> for paying subscribers ( MythTV has even been mentioned ) but it hasn't
> got very far. Why they think Linux users are more likely to abuse their
> service/data than windoze users, I have no idea. They are under no
> obligation to release source code/protocols under any form of Open
> Source license either. Why they carn't just make the small intermediate
> step that companies such as nVidia have done and just release binary
> works is beyond me - I've been a paying customer of there's for the past
> three years.

Why doesn't someone, that needs this, just create a perl script that
will use their web based version and pull it off the site and put it
into the XML format? If in fact you don't mind paying for the service,
why would they care if your web browser was faster than most :)? Is
there something in their terms that won't allow you to do this? You
could then distribute the script without authentication info to anyone
else that wants it. The other users would still have to buy access. No
harm, no foul.

kr

--
K.R. Foley