[mythtv-users] [OT] M179 Quality issues tip

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Wed Jan 21 16:26:44 EST 2004

This is a little off-topic, but I remember seeing several posts concerning
the quality of the AverMedia M179 cards that many of us are using for
Myth.

I bought two of these from one of the ebay auctions.  Within minutes of
installing them, I managed to pull the entire F connector off of the back
of one of them.  I pushed it back in (looked like an RCA jack at this
point) and got them working with Myth...

However, I noticed that one of my cards provided a horrible quality
picture.  Figuring it was because I accidently yanked the jack out, I
started explorering my warranty options.  This process was slow going.

The other day, I re-arranged some cards in my box and ended up with the
two M179 cards several slots apart from each other (previously they were
right next to each other)... and voila, excellent quality pic from both
cards.  So I *think* it may have either been a heat issue or the bottom
card was receiving interfearence from the other card...

So if you have a couple of these cards and one of them has blue blotches
or sometimes vertical purple-ish bars bars in the pic, try separating them
a little.

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>