[mythtv-users] [OT] M179 Quality issues tip

William Powers wepprop at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 21 18:20:20 EST 2004

Lance Tost wrote:

>So if you have a couple of these cards and one of them has blue blotches
>or sometimes vertical purple-ish bars bars in the pic, try separating them
>a little.

Actually, from the symptoms, it sounds like you may have been the victim
of the infamous firmware hangup.  I happens sometimes between one
recording and the next, seemingly at random.  Once it gets that way, the
affected card (it can happen to any ivtv style card) will stay that way
until you either a) reboot the machine, or switch inputs via ioctl to
something other than the normal input, and then switch back to the
normal input.

The problem has been around for a while, and the development team knows
about it, but it doesn't happen very often and can't be duplicated
on-demand, so it's been hard to track down.  See the archives for more
detail

Bottom line - don't be surprised if it happens again!

Bill