[mythtv-users] HDTV - PVR: Does it work?

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 20 16:54:51 EST 2004

Quoting Ian Neubert <ian at ianneubert.com>:

> Hello All,
>
> I am planning on getting a pcHDTV capture card and just wanted to see what
> the status of support was for it under MythTV. Can it do real PVR functions
> like pause live HDTV, rewind live HDTV, and record an HDTV broadcast while
> watching another pre-recorded HDTV stream?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Some background: I just bought a MyHD HDTV capture card and found out that
> didn't read the fine print. It can't do any PVR functions, I basically just
> spent $400 on a VCR. Then I found out the manufacturer has no interest in
> supporting 3rd party programs.
>
> So I say, screw the proprietary vendors and go open source. Yay!
>
> I have the following system specs:
>
> Athlon XP - 2400+ (2 GHz)
> Nvidia GF3 Ti 200
> 512 Mb ddr400 RAM
> Abit NF7 Mobo

You'll need a better video card and possibly a faster Athlon to think about
using the pcHDTV...  Software decoding of HDTV (even with motion compensation
and IDCT acceleration by the vid card) pushes modern CPUs to their limits.

I also made the mistake of buying an MDP-100...  DIE TERALOGIC DIE!!!

Too bad the developer of the TL880 Linux driver had to go on vacation or
something.  TL880 driver development has been halted until late 2005 or when
someone else takes over the driver.  :(

Theoretically IF the TL880 driver were finished (at least to the point of being
able to record the transport stream), it could be used just like the pcHDTV to
perform recordings and then display in software.  Or you could use the pcHDTV to
capture and the TL880 to display on a lower-end machine.