[mythtv-users] Dell Dimensions (and Poweredge)...

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Jan 16 13:33:32 EST 2004

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:23:02 -0700 (MST)
"Shawn Asmussen" <asmussen at cox.net> wrote:

> Chris Petersen said:
> >> A friend of mine JUST bought the Poweredge 400 and tried selling the ram
> >> and
> >> hd back.  No go.  They informed him it was only for a temporary time (my
> >> interp: when word got round they really got screwed).
> >
> > That's actually good to know - I was thinking about getting one of these
> > the next time they went on sale (but without that send-back deal, it's
> > the same price for me to just get "real" parts wholesale from work).
> > And yes, they did get royally screwed on that deal.
> >

> For more info on the 400SC, there is an unofficial 400SC FAQ, which
> includes info such as where to find XP drivers (Dell doesn't support
> XP on this machine), what kind of memory modules have been tested in
> the machine, and info on the AGP slot (Which is also unsupported by
> Dell, since they're selling it as a server):
>
> http://www.aaltonen.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8

I just got one of these and installed XP with no problems at all, including all the drivers, right off the Dell-provided CD... I haven't swapped out the crappy PCI video card yet though...

You can't use their server setup CD (which funny enough, is Linux-based) to do the OS install, but it wasn't a problem for me.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
	http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/