[mythtv-users] Jumpy playback with PVR-250?

stan stanb at panix.com
Fri Jan 16 12:36:11 EST 2004

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 11:40:18AM -0500, Scott Pouliot wrote:
> Not sure what the problem could be here, but I setup my Myth box probably 2
> weeks ago....and everything has been fine thus far.  Now today, while I'm
> watching either recordings or Live TV.....it starts skipping really badly
> every 2 or 3 minutes.  The video and audio both start going REAAAAALLLLY
> slow almost like every other frame is being played with a pause in between.
> Very odd...
>
> I know the PVR-250 doesn't have a decoder for playback, but no recording is
> going on in the background at this point in time (other than the standard
> live TV buffering).  I've got my Live TV Recording profile set to MPEG2-PS
> with a bit rate of 2200 (max 4400)...audio set to 48.  Pretty low compared
> to the defaults (I think?)
>
> My hardware:
>
> Dell Dimension 4100 - PIII 933 w/ 384MB RAM
> 20GB Boot Drive
> 160GB Video Drive
> nVidia 32MB Video card (No TV-OUT)
> Hauppauge PVR-250 OEM ($88 one from eBay)
>
> If I copy the output files from recorded shows and view them on my Windows
> XP box....everything is fine.  So it almost sounds like a CPU issue?  Since
> I'm a Windows guy at heart (but trying to convert) I'm not up on too much
> task troubleshooting in Linux yet....

Start off by running top on a console while playing back. Look at CPU
usage.

This will give you an idae where you are on that.

A freind just puilt a PIII 833MHZ machine, and it won't play back with
jerkiness, and it's naxed out on CPU usage, at that time.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin