[mythtv-users] Jumpy playback with PVR-250?

DBakker at arrayasolutions.com DBakker at arrayasolutions.com
Fri Jan 16 12:34:24 EST 2004

I had some jumpy playback issues and it was caused by my disks not being
configured correctly. hdparm -d1 is your friend!

Check out:

http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2000/06/29/hdparm.html

"Scott Pouliot" <spouliot at scpsoftware.net>
Sent by: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
01/16/2004 11:40 AM
Please respond to
Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

"'Discussion about mythtv'" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
cc

Subject
[mythtv-users] Jumpy playback with PVR-250?

Not sure what the problem could be here, but I setup my Myth box probably
2 weeks ago....and everything has been fine thus far.  Now today, while
I'm watching either recordings or Live TV.....it starts skipping really
badly every 2 or 3 minutes.  The video and audio both start going
REAAAAALLLLY slow almost like every other frame is being played with a
pause in between.  Very odd...

I know the PVR-250 doesn't have a decoder for playback, but no recording
is going on in the background at this point in time (other than the
standard live TV buffering).  I've got my Live TV Recording profile set to
MPEG2-PS with a bit rate of 2200 (max 4400)...audio set to 48.  Pretty low
compared to the defaults (I think?)

My hardware:

Dell Dimension 4100 - PIII 933 w/ 384MB RAM
20GB Boot Drive
160GB Video Drive
nVidia 32MB Video card (No TV-OUT)
Hauppauge PVR-250 OEM ($88 one from eBay)

If I copy the output files from recorded shows and view them on my Windows
XP box....everything is fine.  So it almost sounds like a CPU issue? Since
I'm a Windows guy at heart (but trying to convert) I'm not up on too much
task troubleshooting in Linux yet....

Any ideas?

mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users at mythtv.org