[mythtv-users] Requiring a password for mythweb?

Alan Snyder ax763 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 10:49:53 EST 2004

> I want to be able to access my myttv setup using mythweb from
> away from home.
>
> So, I will need to make the apache isntance visible from
> outside my network. Given this, I don't want general public
> access to scheduling recordings on my system :-) Seems like
> this would be a common request.
>
> Has anyone managed to get mythweb to rquire, say, a password?

There are several ways.  I thought that the default
mythweb required a password.  But anyway, I restrict
my whole web tree as follows in /etc/httpd/conf/commonhttpd.conf:

#Restricted set of options
<Directory />
  Options -All -Multiviews
  AllowOverride None
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "Valid User"
  AuthUserFile /var/www/htpasswd
  Require valid-user
  <IfModule mod_access.c>
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from 192.168.123
    Allow from <other IP for convenience here>
    Satisfy Any
  </IfModule>
</Directory>

This provides password-free access locally and password access
from elsewhere.

The Apache docs are pretty good on this.