[mythtv-users] Requiring a password for mythweb?

Drew Bernat abernat at zathras.net
Thu Jan 15 10:59:08 EST 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, stan wrote:

> So, I will need to make the apache isntance visible from outside my
> network. Given this, I don't want general public access to scheduling
> recordings on my system :-) Seems like this would be a common request.
>
> Has anyone managed to get mythweb to rquire, say, a password?

Yup :)

The best way is to use a .htaccess file in the mythweb directory and let
Apache do the access handling. From my setup:

Create a file called ".htaccess" in the mythweb directory. Mine contains:

AuthType Basic
AuthName "MythTV"
AuthUserFile /home/httpd/htpasswd
Require valid-user

You may already have a .htaccess file for PHP variables -- just tack those
lines on the end. Then all you need is an htpasswd file, and google should
be able to look up how to do that. It just contains name:password pairs
with the passwords encrypted.

Drew

--
Drew Bernat                                                __ ____