[mythtv-users] Is this possible??? The **ultimate** system...

David jeske jeske at chat.net
Wed Jan 14 18:34:11 EST 2004

Bret -

-- Bret Schuhmacher wrote:
> o see page 2 of the pdf - output should be totally customizable,
> with windows for each tuner or input (i.e. CNN in one, ESPN in
> another, DVD in another, web browser in another, webcam/security
> cam in another). You'd be able to select the current one for
> audio via mouse or remote. You'd be able to shrink the unused
> ones and enlarge the current one, but still have the others
> available at the touch of a button.

This is a neat idea. If you're ready for some programming, MythTV
seems like a great substrate to make this work in, and I'm guessing
nobody is ever going to build that as "out of the box" if you don't.

I'd personally like to see support for multiple-channel 'flipbook'
using only a single tuner. For example, showing low-rate video for 8
channels simultaneously, by capturing while flipping channels. This
is probably only doable on raw capture cards (not the mpeg cards),
but seems possible. Mythtv's ringbuffer setup dosn't seem ideal for
this, but everything is possible right.

> It'd have customizable plugins scattered around the screen (news,
> weather, stocks, etc.) Ideally there'd be a GUI that'd help people
> customize this on-screen using their mouse or remote... Very user
> friendly - no XML or HTML hacking required!

MythTV has impressed me by having all configuration (that I've used)
accessable via the mythtv on-screen menus. Set it up, you'll be
impressed.

I do find myth weather a little "off in the wings". I would like to
create an on-screen display which shows weather information during
the normal course of tv watching, so I can see it without having to
go select that mythweather menu item. We'll see if I get to it.

> o EXTREMELY simple addition of new tuners... such as USB.
> You buy a new USB Tuner, plug it into your USB hub, MythTV
> finds it and starts using it to schedule new recordings - all
> automagically.

For me, getting tuners working was the hardest part about setting up
MythTV. If you get the right hardware, and the right kernel, it's
easy, but otherwise, it's lots of messing around.

USB dosn't really have the bandwidth for multiple video capture
devices. I think there are some direct-to-mpeg4 usb2.0 capture
devices, but they are $199 each, and not supported by Linux or
MythTV. Seems simpler just to buy 4 of the right $50 bt8x8 PCI cards,
and be done.

We can all dream about the day where you can buy a $15 tuner, plug it
in and go, but for now this is just a dream. :)

> The webcams could eventually be used for videoconferencing,
> security, or just to watch the kids play. I eventually see plugins
for
> home automation via X10 (with onscreen images of what you're
> controlling).

A friend of mine said the same thing. His baby room is downstairs,
and he wants a video baby monitor which he can punch up. Actually he
wanted it to automatically popup if there was too much noise in the
baby room.

> What can be done already? How can I help out?
Build a mythtv box and join the cause. :)