[mythtv-users] M179 Problem / Jarod's Fedora Guide

W David Handy whandy at wam.umd.edu
Mon Jan 12 09:38:19 EST 2004

Hey all,

I've been attempting to follow Jarod's ATRpms / Fedora guide for about
two weeks now, everything works great except the M179 install.  For
reference I'm running a SN41G2 (nforce2) with an m179, so that install
guide has been very useful.  The only thing I can't get to work is ivtv.
The first time I attempted the install I did not use the suggested
ATRpms kernel; however yesterday I tried the install again with the
kernel.

After installing the ivtv modules via apt, the "cat /dev/video0 >
test.mpg" test seems to work perfectly and produces a nice stream of
static, but after connecting the cable, it still produces a video that
is only slightly better than static.  For example when tuned to CNN
through mythfrontend or the ptune scripts you can see the ticker bars
and sometimes the outline of a person through the static.

The only symptom I have found that something has not worked correctly is
in the dmesg logs.  The output is more or less identical to the output
in the install guide, but differs at these lines:

Ivtv: i2c-core: 97 not found!   # this is not copied verbatim, but I'm
guessing you've seen this before
Ivtv: i2c-core: 97 not found!
Ivtv: i2c-core: 64 not found!
ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 0
ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 32
ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 224

I have found a few references to these "not found" in the ivtv docs, and
a few places elsewhere, (most notably in the hacking GPIO faq, which is
over my head).  Regardless, it's my understanding that the video from
the m179 should work fine from ivtv once the module is finally loaded,
while the audio is the more difficult part, so I am finding this problem
a little mystifying.

If you need any more logs I'd be happy to post them.

One other comment about the install guide: it seems that the nvidia rpm
installed in the tv out section does not provide 3d graphics
acceleration, and the nvidia module compiler script fails when looking
at the ATRpms kernel source.  (I might be able to figure this one out,
but it is giving me a little trouble.)

Thanks!