[mythtv-users] M179 Problem / Jarod's Fedora Guide

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Jan 12 11:12:38 EST 2004

On Jan 12, 2004, at 6:38 AM, W David Handy wrote:

> I’ve been attempting to follow Jarod’s ATRpms / Fedora guide for about
> two weeks now, everything works great except the M179 install.  For
> reference I’m running a SN41G2 (nforce2) with an m179, so that install
> guide has been very useful.  The only thing I can’t get to work is
> ivtv.  The first time I attempted the install I did not use the
> suggested ATRpms kernel; however yesterday I tried the install again
> with the kernel.

It can be done with either kernel, at least in theory. Actually, my dev
box is running a stock Fedora kernel, while my production system is
running an ATrpms kernel, so I know it can be done on either one. ;-)

> After installing the ivtv modules via apt, the “cat /dev/video0 >
> test.mpg” test seems to work perfectly and produces a nice stream of
> static, but after connecting the cable, it still produces a video that
> is only slightly better than static.  For example when tuned to CNN
> through mythfrontend or the ptune scripts you can see the ticker bars
> and sometimes the outline of a person through the static.

Double-check that your provider doesn't use the us-cable-hrc frequency
table, rather than the us-cable one. That sounds similar to the
problems others have had when using the wrong one. Of course, this
means I'm assuming you're in the US...

> The only symptom I have found that something has not worked correctly
> is in thedmesglogs.  The output is more or less identical to the
> output in the install guide, but differs at these lines:
>
> Ivtv: i2c-core: 97 not found!  # this is not copied verbatim, but I’m
> guessing you’ve seen this before

I haven't, or at least I don't recall seeing them... But the good news
is that the modules *are* pretty much loading fine, given that you are
seeing anything at all w/the cat /dev/video0 test.

> I have found a few references to these “not found” in the ivtvdocs,
> and a few places elsewhere, (most notably in the hacking GPIO faq,
> which is over my head). Regardless, it’s my understanding that the
> video from the m179 should work fine from ivtv once the module is
> finally loaded, while the audio is the more difficult part, so I am
> finding this problem a little mystifying.

The latest ivtv rpms are missing the patch for M179 audio at the
moment. I've contacted Axel about it. The alternatives are 1) manually
download and install the older ones, 2) install a patched ivtv from
source yourself or 3) wait for updated rpms with M179 audio support.

> If you need any more logs I’d be happy to post them.

Try switching from us-cable to us-cable-hrc first. If that doesn't
work, check to see that everything is properly grounded. This doesn't
sound like a driver issue (but who ever really knows for sure ;-).

> One other comment about the install guide: it seems that the nvidia
> rpm installed in the tv out section does not provide 3d graphics
> acceleration

It should... Perhaps your TV is the second display in a TwinView setup,
in which case acceleration won't work (I think)... I may revise that
section of the doc to not use TwinView at all, as it isn't necessary
when you've only got a TV connected (though it is handy if you ever
need/want to hook a monitor up also). However, I did the entire
installation on my Debian box (remote frontend, secondary backend)
without ever using a monitor...

> and the nvidia module compiler script fails when looking at the ATRpms
> kernel source.  (I might be able to figure this one out, but it is
> giving me a little trouble.)

Hm... Works fine for me... Are you sure you are pointing at the right
kernel source? If you're talking version 4363, you also need to set
IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH for it to compile. (Later versions prompt you
instead).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...