[mythtv-users] Frontend without backend

Jon Hoyt samika at myrealbox.com
Mon Jan 5 03:11:54 EST 2004

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 23:20:56 -0800, Ian Forde wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 19:35, Stephen L. Ulmer wrote:
>>  I think you will need another computer on which to run MySQL.  The
>>  non-TV plug-ins just need access to the database.  You could setup the
>>  database and just have no tuners or video sources...
>
> Nope - you can run the database on the same box.
>
>>  Actually, you'll also need a place to store the music and videos,
>>  which I suppose you could do in the same place.
>
> Yep.  But if you've already got a music collection on another box, you
> could just NFS-mount it...
>
> 	-I

My music and videos currently live on my OS X machine and was planning
to NFS mount them.  I suppose I could run MySQL on the Mac also, but
I'd rather run them on the xbox if that will work.  Is the xbox up to
that task?  I'm trying to use Dennis Cartier's xbox distribution, does
anyone know if the database is included with that?  If not, any tips or
tutorials for getting it set up?

Thanks,

Jon