[mythtv-users] Yet another 'review my stats please' email :)

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Jan 5 00:46:46 EST 2004

On Jan 4, 2004, at 18:33, Daniel Jimenez wrote:

> Hi all. I'm about to build out two mythtv boxes, a front end and a
> backend...
>
> Here are the specs, let me know what you think:
>
> Backend_:
> [This machine is already built but MythTV isn't installed]
> RedHat 8
> AthlonXP 2500+ (333mhz fsb)
> 512 MB Ram
> One 16GB HDD, two 80GB HDD.
> AVER-TV Stereo -- connecting video via SVIDEO and Audio via S/PDIF.

Um, does the AVerTV card have an S/PDIF input? I know mine doesn't...

> Motorola Digital Cable Box (hopefully connected to serial port, anyone
> have luck with this?).

Search the list archive for cable box stuff. Its been discussed quite a
bit.

> Frontend_:
> Gentoo
> Intel Celeron 550mhz
> Video Card with TV Out (SVIDEO)
> Audio Card with Outputs (S/PDIF of course)
> Remote Control using LIRC

I'm highly dubious that a Celery 550 can play back video smoothly,
unless you're going really low rez, low bitrate and RTjpeg. For
starters, that's rather slow as far as MHz, then its a crippled
processor with no SSE support. But by all means, give it a shot. :)

http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.1

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...