[mythtv-users] Output to HDTV

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Jan 5 00:26:51 EST 2004

On Jan 3, 2004, at 12:33, Peter Lee wrote:

> As a result, like Jarod, I now use only the vga output from my mythtv
> box.
> My plasma monitor has a vga input, so no component video adapter is
> needed.
> The picture is rock-solid.  (Dvds are really beautiful.)  The only
> downside
> of this arrangement, for me, is that the vga mode doesn't provide a
> "justification" mode that stretches out the outer left/right edges of
> 4:3
> images (but keeping the middle 50% unaffected) to fill a 16:9 display.
> much prefer this to simply stretching the entire 4:3 image (and I also
> don't
> care for left-right letterboxing).

Ug. I can't stand that mode. :)

> Unfortunately, only the svideo and
> component video modes support justification.

I'm not sure if my set does that on the s-vid inputs, but it does on
the component ones. I use stretched 4:3 mode (I *really* hate
left-right letterbox -- that's a waste of screen real estate!!!).

> So, maybe I'll end up going
> with Jarod's solution of a component video adapter, after all.

Well, if I had the choice, I'd use something else (like VGA or DVI),
but my set it a tad bit old now (2001 model), and component is all I've
got (for HD). ;-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...