[mythtv-users] Digital Cable

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu Feb 26 14:49:48 EST 2004

At 01:35 PM 2/26/2004 -0500, John F. DeLuca wrote:
[...]

>True.....IR Blaster is neither best nor only option if you have an active
>serial port on
>your cable box.  Sadly, my cable box does not fall into that category so
>*my* best and
>only option to view digital cable channels with my Myth or Tivo is via IR
>Blaster

Just curious ... does your cable box entirely lack a serial port or is it
present but not "active"? I ask because it took me quite a bit of work to
confirm that mine was active ... only the *very* latest version of Jim
Paris' C program, for example, works with it. I was about ready to give up
until I discovered a neighbor had his port working with his TiVo. (A lot of
my blundering around is reflected on a recent thread I started on this list
... Ian was quite patient and helpful there.)

Given the general unhelpfulness of cable providers with respect to
information about this interface, I've wondered how many people give up on
it too soon.