[mythtv-users] Reducing system resources (cpu, memory)

Blues Guy bluesguy at stny.rr.com
Wed Feb 25 20:15:44 EST 2004

J. Donavan Stanley wrote:

> Bill Chmura wrote:
>
>> One possibility is moving to a lighter desktop... for example, I use
>> KDE on my notebook, but on my myth system I run fluxbox.  Takes up
>> less of everything - disk space, compile time, and memory.  Not sure
>> how much, but KDE does eat up alot.  I took a quick look and it seems
>> like KDE uses 30MB more of memory...  Someone could probably do a
>> better analysis than me.  Anyway, if your low on memory that could help.
>>

> Ratpoison.  It doesn't get much lighter than that.

For my dedicated box I installed a Fedora Core 1 "minimal install" and
built up from there, adding just what was needed.  I kept the entire
install under a 1 GB for a setup with the entire myth-suite, and I used
just xfwm4 as a window manager.  It (and it's supporting apps) uses only
~25MB of RAM., and no focus issues or background images to interfere
with the MythTV experience... :-)