[mythtv-users] Choppy video at LOW bitrates

nowhere at cox.net nowhere at cox.net
Tue Feb 24 15:53:17 EST 2004

I am experiencing very choppy video and audio on Live TV and recorded (seems like a huge amount of dropped frames) when I reduce the bitrate to 2200 from the default mythtv setup of 4000. If I increase slightly to 3000 the problem is almost gone except with an occassional stutter on a scene change or high speed/dark motion.  At 4000 the video is flawless.

I am using 0.14 myth, with the recommended ivtv driver versions on a P4 3.0Ghz, 1GB RAM, single PVR250, 80GB Seagate (dma confirmed enabled).  I have only upgraded the kernel according to Axel's recent recommendation to allow apt-get of lirc (I forget the versions, Im at work).  I am at 480x480 resolution for the capture. I have left everything unchanged from the default Myth setup except the sound 32000->48000 and this change of the video bitrate.

I'm only running an 80Gig drive so I need to save some space ;)

I have searched google and the archives and haven't seen anyone else with this problem yet (could be my search string?)

Anyone have any ideas?