[mythtv-users] Recording dies when viewing recordings. Anyone swap capture cards?

jose rubio debian at nc.rr.com
Tue Feb 24 14:10:36 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 10:48, Malcolm wrote:
> On 24 Feb 2004 08:18:38 -0500
> jose rubio <debian at nc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 00:04, Malcolm wrote:
> > > pvr-350 in first PCI slot (/dev/video0)
> > > pvr-250 in second PCI slow (/dev/video1)
> > >
> > > When I click on "watch recordings" while a recording is in progress it
> > > seems to be more and more frequent (almost every time now) it kills
> > > the current recording in progress (I reboot daily at 3:30am so it's
> > > not that I need to reboot).
> > >
> > > I was wondering if anyone with similar setup to me (mostly the PVR
> > > cards) has tried swapping them around?  Did it produce any better
> > > results?
> > >
> > > My thinking is that when only one recording is taking place it will be
> > > on the PVR-250 and then when I click on "watch recordings" it will
> > > start using the PVR-350 and not touch the 250 card at all.
> > >
> > > I won't be able to test my idea till the weekend and I was wondering
> > > if anyone else has tried that yet?  I'm anxious.
> > >
> > > Thanks guys
> > > Malcolm
> > > mytht 0.14
> > > ivtv 0.1.9
> > > mandrake 9.2
> > > kernel.org 2.4.24 patched with v4l2
> > > ----
> > >
> > I have a 250 and a 350.  My mythbox runs continuosly for days with no
> > problems at all.  One big diff is that I use myth-cvs and I update to
> > new one every few days (when I feel adventurous)
>
> I tried CVS once and hit at a wrong moment and had worse problems than I'm
> having now.  I know I probably could have waited and updated again in a
> few days but since we're actually using it in the living room I decided to
> just go back to 0.14 for now.  And yes I did backup and restore my DB in
> that process.
>
> > IIRC the first recording will go on card1 which in your setup would be
> > the 350. then when a second recording (or livetv) takes place it will
> > use the second card.
>
> Yes that's how my setup works.
>
> > Now, I assume from your explanation that the recording does not really
> > stop when you "click whatch recordings" but really when you actually
> > start watching a recording.  I also assume you are using the 350's
> > tv-out.  Is that right?
>
> Actually as soon as I click on "watch recordings" the current recordings
> in progress are stopped imediately.  This could be because of the little
> preview window in the bottom right corner that's accessing the recording.
> And yes I'm using the 350's TV out.

Yes, that could be it.  I remember long ago I was having problems with
this preview window and the 350 tv-out.  I just turned it off and it all
worked great.  IIRC this was then fixed in CVS (which I now run) but I
never liked that little picture there anyway...  it's kind of a spoiler,
in particular with shows that show spoilers at the begining (a la Angel)

Try turning it off.  This might fix it.

Good luck.

-jose-