[mythtv-users] How do I get Alsa and Audigy to work with MythTv

Dustin Hunter dhunter21 at bigfoot.com
Sun Feb 22 19:48:54 EST 2004

This is my first time installing MythTv.

I've just installed Gentoo Linux and I have an Audigy 2 sound card. I
built the emu10k and ALSA modules into my 2.6.3 kernel. I've emerged
alsa-utils as well. I can listen to my music using XMMS, and KDE is
using sound as well.

However, when I setup MythTV it doesn't recoginize that there are any
audio devices. In otherwords the "Audio output device" dropdown has
nothing listed.

I read in the install guide that "You may also want to ensure that
/dev/dsp hasn't already been grabbed by another process like esd or
artsd. If /dev/dsp isn't available, then MythTV won't work". If I "ls
/dev/dsp" the directory is empty. I don't suppose thats good?

Can anyone help me get my card up and running?

Thanks in advance

- Dustin