[mythtv-users] Doing the undoable?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Feb 18 12:02:39 EST 2004

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 21:04, Eric Jones wrote:
> Or maybe not.
>
> Okay, here's the deal. I have mythtv running on an athlon 2100+ with 521
> mb of ram. I have a pvr 250 and a pinnacle pctv for capture, and a geforce
> 3 for tv-out. My tv is an Apex 27' flat screen, and I'm in the US so it's
> NTSC for me.
>
> Now, on the TV I have a variety of input options. I can do svideo,
> component, and composite. And of course standard cable, but who needs
> that? :) I'm using straight svideo from my machine to the tv.
>
> The machine itself is running flawlessly and I have 0.14 on it. No
> problems whatsoever.
>

> Here's the question. I'm using the vanilla nvidia driver options for TV
> out recommended for tv's, e.g. HorizSync 30-50, VertRefresh 60.
>
> According to the proprietary nvidia driver, this means that I can run in:
>
> 640x480
> 400x300
> 320x240

Eh? According to what? I can run 800x600 and 1024x768 just fine to a TV over
SVid or Composite using the nvidia driver. I'm pushing 1024x768 to a 27" TV
right now...

> I can play around with the sync and refresh to get 800x600 which obviously
> needs overscan to look worth a crap. I'm willing to invest in another card
> to do this, but wouldn't dvd's look crappy upsized to that? What's the
> ideal resolution here? 720x480?
>
> I'm a bit nervous to play around with the tv settings too much because I
> don't want to smoke my TV. So - to those of you that are running happy
> mythboxes, what do you run them at?

Since you said you have component inputs, rather than getting a new video
card, I'd investigate a VGA to component video transcoder. That's what I use
for my HDTV, and the picture blows away SVideo, especially for DVD and Divx.

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/mythhd.php

- --
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...