[mythtv-users] Re: Myth menu navigation slow after using XMame in MythGame

Robert S. Kerr rskerr at dsbox.com
Tue Feb 17 09:32:47 EST 2004

  Quoting atd7 at cornell.edu:

 > What theme are you using?

I've been using G.A.N.T., but after the recent discussion on this
thread, I tried using a smaller font.  It doesnt' seem to help.  I tried
Blue also and didn't have any difference.

 > G.A.N.T. can have some serious problems on some systems, see my
 > this topic. If you're using G.A.N.T. and some letters have "cut off"
portions
 > (In my case, the "g" in Watch Recordings and Delete Recordings was
cut off at
 > the bottom), the symptoms you describe can occur.
 >
 > In my case, it occurred most of the time, but sometimes, for whatever
reason, it
 > did not. The fact that it didn't always occur could be falsely
correlated with
 > xmame in your case, or somehow xmame is causing X's font handling to
become
 > weird (I find it highly unlikely though.)

I'm quite certain that it is XMame, and I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it
down to fullscreen Xv.  I haven't tried SDL yet to see if I can confirm
XMame/Xv is the culprit.

I've even gone so far as to get into the Mythgame code and comment out
the calls to xmame so I could have Myth doing everything it normally
does when it goes into mame and then comes back.  When I do that, the
slowdown doesn't appear.  When I actually make the call and start up
xmame, then I get the slowdowns.

The frustrating thing is that I haven't been able to reproduce this
behavior outside of Myth.  I'm getting confident that it isn't anything
in the Myth code per se, but more an interaction between XMame and
something that Myth is using.  If I could reproduce the behavior outside
Myth, I could rule Myth out and go ping the Xmame people on their lists.

Another piece of information is that once I've managed to get this slow
behavior the only way to correct it is to restart my xserver (again
pointing to it and not Myth).