[mythtv-users] lirc_init error returns with a vengeance...

Jason Livingston dergibjl2-nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 11:32:14 EST 2004

Well first off, lots of thanks to Jarod and Scott for their earlier
assistance. I got mythtv working and actually ran the frontend
successfully for a while, by following exactly the instructions in
Jarod's guide. My earlier problem seemed to have been solved by fixing
my kernel sources and correct header/make dep installation.

However, I need to patch and recompile mythtv in order to support
Japanese language text in the UI (I want English menus but support for
Japanese channel/program info).

I downloaded the Japanese patch from here:
http://www.systemcreate-inc.com/gsxr/pc/mythtv.html

...and I patched myth up with no errors. I did a recompile, exactly
following the instructions in the FAQ. The compile seemed to work fine
with no errors of any kind, so I expected it to work, and then did make
install.

However, now when running mythfrontend, I immediately get this error:
mythfrontend: relocation error: /usr/lib/libmyth-0.14.so.0: undefined
symbol: lirc_init

Arrg! I had a working mythfrontend, I re-compiled myth seemingly
without  errors, but the same problem from before popped up. Now my
install is hosed unless I can find the problem...

If anyone has successfully re-compiled mythtv 0.14 after installing
based on Jarod's guide, please let me know how! As far as I can tell,
its just impossible to re-compile mythtv while running Jarod's
recommended software installation. (ATrpm custom kernel, etc.)

FYI, just before running mythfrontend and getting the above error
message, I DID confirm that lirc was installed and loading properly.
lsmod lists lirc_i2c and lirc_dev loaded, and ps shows lircd is
running.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Jason