[mythtv-users] PVR-350 TVout vs. Live TV A/B comparison

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sun Feb 15 10:26:11 EST 2004

	Yay!  (Boo!, actually).  It sounds like this is the same issues I've
been having with my PVR-250.  My TVOUT is very good (checked with dvds), but
flipping back and forth between the tv's tuner and the PVR's encoded file
reveals a somewhat less sharp picture on the PVR.  I have verified this with
resolution test patterns.  I basically get about 400-450 lines of resolution
with the capture card and about 550 by looking at the tv directly.  I've got
test patterns if anyone wants to play with it, but be warned that to use the
tests properly you need to customize your modelines.

-Cory

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Mike Morris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm curious if others with a PVR350 have done A/B comparisons between
> recorded and live tv.  When I do a split screen with Myth on one side and
> live tv on the other (same channel, myth side is delayed a few seconds
> obviously), the myth / PVR output is slightly darker, and noticeably less
> sharp. I've never seen the same video source live side by side with an mpeg
> encoded / decoded version, so I want to make sure the level of degradation
> is normal.
>
> My configuration is:  Motorola DCT-2200 cable box RF output directly into
> TV;  DCT-2200 composite video out into the S-Video in of the PVR using the
> supplied adapter.  S-video output from the PVR to S-video input on the TV.
>
> Just wondering if my results are comparable with others, or if there is any
> way to improve the picture quality. Or maybe I should just be happy I have
> the TVout on the PVR working perfectly. :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Mike

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*