[mythtv-users] OT: Launch Mythfrontend remotely via ssh

Tom Marshall tommy at home.tig-grr.com
Fri Feb 13 14:51:32 EST 2004

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 06:45:46AM -0800, John DeLuca wrote:
> Can I launch mythfrontend (desktop) from my laptop so that it shows up on my
> desktop display?
>
> I imagine this is a linux noobie question more than myth, but perhaps someone
> can help.  I ask because myth sometimes fails to respond (ivtv sometimes goes
> haywire).  I've tried mythfrontend:0 but that wasn't the magic word.

I do this frequently:

  laptop$ ssh mythtv at frontend
  frontend$ export DISPLAY=:0.0
  frontend$ mythfrontend &
  frontend$ exit
  laptop$

At this point SSH hangs waiting for mythfrontend to exit, so just close the
terminal.  There's probably a way around this but it's not enough of a
problem for me to bother finding a solution.

--
A lot of people are afraid of heights.  Not me.  I'm afraid of widths.
        -- Steven Wright