[mythtv-users] OT: Launch Mythfrontend remotely via ssh

Bill Bradley wbradley at bham.rr.com
Fri Feb 13 10:16:49 EST 2004

On Friday 13 February 2004 08:45 am, John DeLuca wrote:
> Can I launch mythfrontend (desktop) from my laptop so that it shows up on
> my desktop display?
>
> I imagine this is a linux noobie question more than myth, but perhaps
> someone can help.  I ask because myth sometimes fails to respond (ivtv
> sometimes goes haywire).  I've tried mythfrontend:0 but that wasn't the
> magic word.

> Yahoo! Finance: Get your refund fast by filing online

ok...if you use ssh with X11 forwarding (some distro's have x11 forwarding in
ssh on by default)..the frontend should redirect to wherever you are sshing
from. I am not sure if this is what you are asking for.  Why not just start
the frontend on the desktop display with mythfrontend?  or you could use vnc
but neither vnc or x11 is going to be able to be usuable for vieiwing.

also if you are having ivtv probs, running the frontend probably wont fix your
problems.  you need to look at your backend log or /var/log/messages for ivtv
errors and post those to the list or maybe just some more info so we can
help.

--
Bill Bradley