[mythtv-users] RE: MythTV Webminmodule - anyone interested?

Jeppe N. Madsen jeppenm at worldonline.dk
Fri Feb 13 02:44:26 EST 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Lance Tost wrote:

>  On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Chris Petersen wrote:

[...]

>  I assumed people were talking about http://www.webmin.com.  My
>  point was, if there's already security/authentication stuff built
>  into Webmin, maybe it would make sense to migrate MythWeb to a
>  Webmin module so you don't have to bother with the the low-level
>  user access stuff...  But I don't know enough about how Webmin
>  works.

I think it would be a very bad idea to move all of MythWeb into
webmin. Webmin is for system administration tasks like setting up web
& mail servers, not for a "user level" application like scheduling
what to record and browse the epg. Just because it has an
authentication framework doesn't mean its suitable for all
applications requiring authentication.

That being said, I do think it makes sense to write a webmin module
for the system administration tasks in mythtv. E.g. all the
functionality in mythtvsetup as well as the system setup functions now
available in mythweb (channels, keys etc). I would love to have an
X-less backend (I haven't tried, but how much is needed on the server
to run mythtvsetup with the display exported remotely?)

rgds
Jeppe