[mythtv-users] Where to place satellite receiver?

Kristo Kriechbaum klk+myth at robotics.caltech.edu
Wed Feb 11 13:21:38 EST 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 11:32:31PM -0800, Mike Jasper wrote:
> >>What if you have multiple frontends?  Is a single satellite receiver
> >>hooked into the backend sufficient to handle two or more PVR-250s that
> >>might be operating simultaneously?
> >

> >You need one receiver for each PVR-250 that is operating because the
> >Satellite receiver is what tunes and decodes the channel for you. In this
> >case you'll really just use the PVR-250's S-Video input and control the
> >receiver with some sort of external tuner script (configurable in Myth).
>
> Thanks.  What if the receiver has two tuners?  I'm thinking of the Dish
> 322 (picture of rear at
> http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/Receivers/DISH_322_back.jpg
> ), wondering if it could provide input to two PVR-250s simultaneously.
> What's not clear to me is whether you need to have two dishes attached
> before you can use the two tuners.  Also, it appears to only have one
> S-video out...

I think you'd be better off buying 2 recievers each with a single
tuner.  You may also want to consider how you are going to change the
channel on them.  Some DirecTV recievers have serial ports on the back
(labeled "low speed data").

That's the setup I have - 2 DirecTV recievers, each controlled over
the serial port (with a change_channel perl script).  I keep them both
right next to the backend so I don't have cables running all over the
place.  Then I have a homebuilt serial IR reciever for remote control
(lirc).

Hopefully that helps answer your question

Kristo