[mythtv-users] Re:Spilt Myth mailing list?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 10 15:03:16 EST 2004

On Tuesday 10 February 2004 13:21, John DeLuca wrote:
> While I initially felt a full fledged forum was the way to go, I've
> found the current method quite acceptable.  There is a forum view of
> the mailing list posts which I can use just fine to browse content.
> Since I don't have a decent mail client capable of threading posts, I
> just have a mail rule which discards the post digests I get and I use
> the website instead to read posts

If you don't want to read the emails, why receive them at all?  You can
turn of all email from the list and still remain subscribed for
posting, you know.

> When I want to respond, I
> generate a new email to the list with the subject swiped from the
> forum web post.  Usually that applies the message in the correct
> thread (although it occasionally creates a new thread so if anyone
> has an idea on that, I'd appreciate it).

No, this will not put messages in the correct thread.  It creates a new
thread with the same subject.  Threaded mail readers use one of the
message headers (Message-ID, or something like that) to form threads
correctly.  This is the only thing, IMHO, that would be "better" with a
forum... the ability to (correctly) post to a thread even if you don't
have the message in your mailbox to reply to.  I much prefer the
mailing list interface, but I do agree it might be nice to have it
gatewayed to a forum (like gossamer is now, but with posting
capability).

-JAC