[mythtv-users] Spilt Myth mailing list?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Tue Feb 10 13:55:11 EST 2004

> I'd say most ARE willing to use.

Most of the developers don't like forums.  It's a LOT slower to read
than email.

The solution proposed in the past was to create an email/usenet/forum
gateway, such that people could use the forum interface if they wanted,
or email, or whatever.  But no one bothered to set it up.

>   Even if you have the best email client in
> the world you still have to continously download tons of messages and have
> disk space to archieve them.

Yeah.  Because a couple hundred k of messages daily is a lot of space.
Any why archive?  That's what gossamer-threads is doing.

>  If you switch between a lot of PCs as I do
> (and I'm sure many others) you have to setup many email clients, you don't
> know where one PC left off and where the threads start on the other PC etc.
> I use the list because it's all we have.

Time to start using IMAP.

(I don't mean to sound rude, and apologize if I come off as such - but
this thread has popped up several times since i've been involved in the
project, and doubtless appeared before that.  The proposed gateway is
the ONLY solution that will make everyone happy because there are some
of us who refuse to read forums because they're too slow and clunky -
web pages just are - and because it would mean yet ANOTHER thing to keep
open and remember to read/etc.)

--
Chris Petersen
Programmer / Web Designer