[mythtv-users] Re: Questionable capture quality from a PVR-250

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sat Feb 7 19:12:35 EST 2004

	Hrm... not sure what to think about that.  I did the same thing with my
setup (connect dvd-player directly to s-vid in).  I didn't really try to
compare with cable (tuner) quality, but it still was sub-standard.  There was a
difference between watching the DVD on the TV (through composite even!) and
through the pvr-250 (svid).  It doesn't appear to the tuner in my case, anyway.

	I'm going to capture some more video with some different settings and
post what I end up with.  BTW, when I tried to fetch your test clip (7:00 pm
EST), it wasn't available.

-Cory

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, brent wrote:

> It took me longer to get around to it than I expected but I have tested
> the 3 items as listed in my previous message:
>
> 1)  Adding a grounding wire to my cable feed seems to have had little or
> no effect on the video quality.
>
> 2)  I connected a DVD player S-video out to the S-video in of my PVR-250
> and recorded some DVD video - it was actually very good - much crisper
> than what I get from recorded cable.  If I could record my cable signal
> with that kind of quality I would be happy as I would be hard pressed to
> discern it from the actual DVD.  I'm not sure what this means with
> respect my PVR card however - I am guessing that the S-video input does
> not go through a tuner however.
>
> 3)  I have posted a 10 second recording of some video recorded with the
> following parameters:
>
> bitrate     : 4500000
> bitrate_peak: 6000000
> Width  : 480
> Height : 480
>
> It is about 10 Mb.  Changing the bitrates and dimensions has very little
> (maybe none) bearing on the quality of the captured video.
>
> The file is here:  http://68.144.68.193/download/test.mpg
>
> In addition to this, I have done some more fiddling with the dnr_*
> settings - I can really not see any change in the video with any
> combination of these.
>
> Regards,

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*