[mythtv-users] X-less backend?

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 5 11:38:26 EST 2004

Quoting Scott LeBrun <slebrun at scopus.vic.edu.au>:

> I'm setting up a brand new system using separate backend and frontend
> machines. The backend will never run any X apps at all. Is it possible
> to setup the backend without X? It seems that all is necessary is to
> create some sort of SQL import file and whack it into MySQL.
>
> Any ideas on what exactly is required?

Someone sorely needs to rip out ALL dependencies on X from the backend.

With all versions of MythTV that I have used so far, if you start the backend
from a shell or terminal within X, mythbackend will be linked to that X session.
 i.e. if the X server dies or is restarted (user logs out, for example),
mythbackend will die with some sort of ICE error.