[mythtv-users] mythmusic with fedora/redhat

Brent Hills bhills at openshores.com
Wed Feb 4 01:49:34 EST 2004

> I have the same delayed response problem in FC1 with the
> 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl kernel.  What I found from a google search
> was that LD_ASSSUME_KERNEL would tell the kernel not
> to use the new Posix thread library because of a glibc
> incompatibility.  But all of the information seems to say that
> Java won't work, mplayer segfaults, etc with the wrong setting.
> My *only* problem *seems* to be delayed key response in
> mythmusic.  Of course I have an occasional network hang
> that I've been blaming on Vortex drivers and an old 3COM
> 3C905 :).

I know that one thread has trouble acquiring the lock on the output
mutex.  Mythmusic uses a different set of audio output routines then
mythtv which don't seem to have any issues.

This is an issue only on NPTL based systems (Redhat 9.0 - Fedora or
other distros/people using this type of kernel.)

With NPTL threads the blocked thread doesn't acquire the lock for
extended periods, with the older linuxthreads the threads seem to switch
fine when the lock is available.

As Thor indicated in the dev list the routines could be revamped.  The
lock is held for longer than it should be required to at times.

A lot of the core developers are using non NPTL kernels, so they aren't
exposed to the issue.

In time, it will be resolved, by someone :-).

Brent.