[mythtv-users] Remote Control confusion

MasterC MasterC at pauselivetv.com
Fri Dec 31 20:54:37 UTC 2004

Hi!

I've been tinkering with mythboxes for a while now, but have yet to
actually set it up to be used with a remote control.  I have several
questions and will go from most important to least, just in case you get
bored and at the end, I'll give the specs of my backend to help with the
questions ;)

1.  I ran across a site today:  http://irblaster.info  And reading the
description truly confused me.  I have several "All in 1" remotes, ranging
from 8 device controls to 4.  If I were to purchase these irblaster
builds, and hook it to my mythboxes serial port, would I then simply need
to grab the lirc script pertaining to my particular remote and place that
in my mythtv users' home directory?  Or is this device for something else?

2.  What functions/features do I lose (if any) by not having a keyboard
connected/controlling my mythbox?

3.  I have been linked to BeyondTV's website while reading quite a few of
the posts on the list as well as other forums that discuss mythtv.  Is
that site a good place to go for commercial products that work well with
mythtv, such as the RJ6-RS232 connectors?

Thanks for any responses to any part or all of my questions!  :)

My specs:

Standard, analog cableTV (Comcast Basic)
Box:
Asus A7V8X-X
AthlonXP 1800+
512MB DDR PC3200
Nvidia Geforce4 MMX-440 128MB DDR with TV/Out
Tuner 1: BT878 (WinTV GO!)
Tuner 2: Philips SAA7130