[mythtv-users] Jarod's Guide / atRPMs general questions

Harry Orenstein holists at v92net.com
Fri Dec 31 20:33:55 UTC 2004

On Friday 31 December 2004 5:05 am, David Rees wrote:
> Dan wolf wrote, On 12/30/2004 2:33 PM:
> > As far as security goes, I dont think you need to worry about that.
> > With Linux behind a router/firewall you are almost invincible.
>
> Are you kidding?  That's horrible advice to give.
>
> > On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:50:16 -0500, Harry Orenstein <holists at v92net.com>
wrote:
<snip>
> Not sure, but I do see a good number of ERRORs on my setup as well (FC3
> with ivtv-0.2.0rc3a).  Recordings are working very well except if large
> amounts of IO occur while recording at which point I get messages like
> this:
>
> ivtv: ENC IRQ OVERFLOW: #0 Stealing a Buffer, 256 currently allocated
>
> When this happens a recording will continue to record OK, but for some
> reason myth will think that the recording is extremely long, for
> example, 8 hours long instead of 1.  This will make doing things like
> skipping forward and backward work strangely.

<snip>
> I suggest that you write a cron script to email you what packages are
> available to upgrade on a nightly basis.  Then you will know what
> updated packages are available and you can update as necessary.
>
> -Dave

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.  I have a dial-up connection, so I won't
be using cron to do updates.  I just tried an apt-get dist-upgrade and found
that python4 is going to cause me some problems (lots of conflicts with other
packages).  Guess my upgrades will be limited.

As far as the interrupts errors go, I have never had a problem with any
recordings.  I just see about 2% errors in /proc/interrupts but no effect on
the captures.  The errors occur whether or not recording is taking place, but
only when ivtv (0.2.0-rc3a) is loaded.  I try not to do any other IO during
recordings, so I have not seen the above error.

Thanks again for the help!

-- Harry O.