[mythtv-users] ATrpms : video4linux and ivtv confusion

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Dec 31 19:05:36 UTC 2004

On 12/31/2004 12:09 PM, charlesrandle at cwjamaica.com wrote:

>I confused about the configuration of video4linux and ivtv with mythtv.I am using Atrpms as my only source.My questions are below:
>
>1) Do I need to download and use the video4linux rpm as well as the kernel module for video4linux ? The stock kernel appears to have this already integrated ? If I should use the ATrpms provided video4linux what are the benefits ?

The video4linux RPM provides a tuner module with definitions for some of
the new tuners being used by Hauppauge.  If you have an NTSC PVR-{2,3}50
purchased recently (within the last 4-5 months), you may need the V4L
RPM.  If you have an NTSC PVR-150, you almost definitely need it.  Note
that if you're using Linux 2.6.10 (or above), you won't need it.

>2) With respect to the file msp3400.ko ... which rpm provides it ? kernel-module-video4linux-`uname -r` or kernel-module-ivtv-`uname -r` (with the name msp3400-ivtv.ko). In short which file should I use ?

msp3400.ko is provided by V4L.  msp3400-ivtv.ko is provided by IvyTV.
You will probably need to use msp3400-ivtv.ko (instructions for doing so
are avialable in the list archives).  There has been a recent effort to
incorporate the ivtv changes into the V4L, but as of Linux 2.6.10, there
are still some problems with ivtv support in the kernel's msp3400.

>3) Further to question 2 what is the use of the module "msp3400-ivtv.ko" provided by : kernel-module-ivtv-`uname -r` ?

It replaces the msp3400.ko provided by V4L and will be available until
the one in V4L (which will eventually be incorporated into the Linux
kernel's distribution) has been determined to be "ready for prime-time."

HTH.

Mike