[mythtv-users] Transcoding: "Unknown video codec"

Andrew G. Wilson agwilson at rhetorical.com
Fri Dec 31 02:21:37 UTC 2004

I'm running mythtv with a pair of DVB cards, I'm getting to the stage where it's pretty useable. One problem I have is running out of disk space, so I investigated transcoding...

I'm getting 'Unknown video codec' messages. What do I have to install? The documentation looks a bit out of date.

My back/frontend is a VIA M10k box. I realise that once transcoded I won't be able to use the excellent unichrome drivers to decode the mpeg. Will the picture still be OK?

thanks
Andrew