[mythtv-users] Re: TAO Linux?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Dec 30 22:54:07 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 04:16:07PM +0100, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> How much of the packages are ready to go for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0?

Probably most of the RH9 packages but the kernel related ones gat be used.

> I started of with FC3 only because Jarod's guide made it look like a
> jiffy.
>
> However I am not that big a fan of the short lifespan of Fedora Core sets.
> So I have used TAO linux for a number of installations. This is in effect
> a RHEL 3.0 clone with the advantage of having the long lifespan.
>
> Any thoughts?

It's a long term plan to add support for RHEL 3 and upcoming RHEL 4 to
ATrpms. If you like to join before it gets production quality get on
atrpms-devel :)

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 11:25:41PM +0100, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, myth at umich2.com wrote:
> > Michael Starks wrote:
> > afiak rhel is still on the 2.4 kernel which I think makes you jump
> > through a few more hoops to get a working system.

True, 2.4 becomes more and more troublesome especially with cx88
and/or dvb hardware.

> In effect it means I have to get a load of packages and recompile all of
> them. The FC1 packages would be the best source as RHEL 3.0 was modeled
> after FC1.

RHEL3 was modeled after RH9, so it is something in between with RH9
packages fitting (usually) best.

But nothing beats a native build. :)

> But at present this is more then I would bargain for on the other hand if
> no one is able to discover a way to get TVout working on the PVR-350 it
> may be the best way to get a steady installation but it would result in a
> new repository as almost no one has one for RHEL 3.0

There are already some for RHEL3 like kde-redhat or dag's repo. But in
general RHEL hasn't that much demand in the multimedia sector, but
more in the server/security area.

I really look forward to RHEL4. That would make a very good long
lasting stable platform with enough bits to keep current hardware
happy. :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net